The reality of being pregnant can mean different thing to different people as it holds the ability to completely change a person’s life.
To some people, it a thing of joy, to others, it’s simply a mistake while to a lot of others, it is a life wrecking event.
To married couple it is a blessing, while to a young, unmarried and maybe still in school youth or teenager, it is a costly even that will if not properly managed will scare them for the rest of their lives.
Which ever the case maybe for you, the aim of this article is to show you some of the earliest signs of pregnancy.
Identify and understanding this signs will help you better prepare for what is coming so it does not take you unaware.
Thought some women will suspect they are pregnant even before their periods stops while some will start experiencing the signs a few weeks after conception.
It will be wise for you to note that this signs can vary in intensity, frequency and duration from person to person though, a woman will not necessarily experience the same symptoms in the same way in subsequent pregnancies as with her first pregnancy but below are the most common of them all.
1. CONSTIPATIONS. This is one of the earliest signs of pregnancy and it is often caused by the slow movement of food in the intestines as a result of increase in the production and distribution of PROGESTERONE. (Progesterone is a hormone released by the corpus luteum in the ovary. It plays important roles in the menstrual cycle and in maintaining the early stages of pregnancy) these slow movement of food in the intestines can cause constipation.
2. MILD HEADACHES. One of the resultant effects of pregnancy is the onset of hormonal changes.
This hormonal changes which is often at it’s peak during the early stage of the pregnancy can cause a series of mild headaches especially early in the morning.
3. GRADUAL SWELLING OF THE BREAST. This is also one of the early signs of pregnancy that is as a result of hormonal changes. This sign often starts two to three weeks after conception and it is characterized by an either sore, tender are very sensitive breast and gradual swelling or heaviness of the breast.
Though this is one of the obvious signs any woman who pays attention to her body will notice some times even before the overation stops to flow.
4. SLIGHT BLEEDING.
This particular sign occurs in about 10 to 14 days after the eggs have been fertilized it is characterized by a slight spottier and lighter bleeding which are usually small and never last more than a day or two. It is one of the most earliest signs of pregnancy. It occurs when the fertilized eggs attarch themselves to the endometrium, the lining of the uterus and in most women, it is often accompanied by a series of cramps similar to that a menstrual cramp. T
occurrence is medically called Implantation bleeding.
5. PERIOD STOPS FLOWING. This is one of the most common signs of pregnancy. It happens once implantation is complete, then your body begins to produce human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG).
This hormone will help your body maintain the pregnancy and also tells the ovaries to stop releasing mature eggs each month which will terminate menstrual flow until after the baby is born.
6. RAISED BODY TEMPERATURE AND FATIGUE. Fatigue occurs in every pregnancy especially in the early stages. This is as a result of the high production of progesterone which can make you sleepy and exhausted and also increase your body temperature..
7. FREQUENT URINATION. During the early stages of pregnancy, your body pumps more blood than usual in other to efficiently accommodate the changes going on with you.
This high level of blood causes an increase in the functions of other organs like your kidney processing more fluid than usual which inturn cause more fluid to enter your bladder hence the need to constantly empty it.
8. DARKENING OF THE AREOLA. Darkening of the areola or area around the nipple, is one of a the signs of pregnancy every woman should watch out for. I
is due to some pregnancy hormones which causes your skin to produce more pigment especially around your nipples. Also, the areola might look bumpier than usual. This is due to the growth of small glands (called Montgomery’s tubercles) that will eventually secrete an oily substance to protect your nipples from becoming dry and cracked during breastfeeding. After you’re done breastfeeding, the color and size of your nipples will most likely return to normal.
9. NAUSEA AND MORNING SICKNESS. Morning sickness, nausea, and vomiting, can actually occur at any time of the day. Some women never experience morning sickness, while others may have severe nausea alongside vomiting. It mostly starts between the 2nd and 8th weeks of pregnancy.
Though most women often experience relief from the morning sickness and nausea around the 13th or 14th week, but others may have nausea continually throughout the pregnancy.
10. PICKY WITH FOOD, SENSITIVITY AND CRAVING. At the early stage of pregnancy, most women often develop sensitivity to alot of things like noise and smell. They can smell what the sister who lives four to five houses away from you is cooking. And this is often accompanied by a serious craving for oily foods.
Like most other symptoms of pregnancy, these high craving of foods and picky eating are mostly caused by hormonal changes – especially in the earliest stage of the pregnancy when hormonal changes are the most dramatic and in high supply.
11. MOOD SWING.This is often the most annoying part of being pregnant.The high release and circulation of hormones in your body especially in your early stage of pregnancy can make you unusually emotional and weepy.
Though this part is not physical, it can be the most obvious sign and most annoying too.
Though these symptoms aren’t entirely associated to pregnancy alone as they can indicate that you’re getting sick or that your period is about to start. And also, you can be pregnant without experiencing any of these symptoms.
So, if you miss a period or notice any of these signs, I advice you see your doctor especially if you are not keeping track of your menstrual cycle or you’re one of those with an irregular flow. The earlier it is confirmed, the sooner you can prepare yourself which ever way it will be.